Friday, April 12, 2013

What can you do about your Google search results?

Being involved in social media is considered normal for most of us. We post examples of our life so that our friends and family can share in those experiences. Often times, these experiences are not “work appropriate." Since employers are using these sites, it is incredibly important that we monitor what is being shared.

On Monday, Robin discussed Googling yourself. He talked about how this simple action will show you what potential hiring managers could see and learn about you. To help show you how this works, I Googled myself. I am in an interesting position though. My legal name is Nicole Ueland but I have gone by Colee my entire life. As a result, potential hiring managers will search Nicole since that is the name listed on all applications. When they search me this is what they will see.




Out of this search only two images and two links apply directly to me. I also have an aunt who goes by Nicole Ueland. As a result, our results will be mixed up when someone Google’s that name.

There is nothing I can do about what the content people with my name post. However, I can help control what content these managers see. On my resume, I include links to all my social networking profiles. I have already gone through and started the process of furthering my personal brand on each of them. By doing this, potential hiring managers only see my content and the chances of being mixed up with someone else are lowered.

You can learn a lot by typing your name into Google. Are your search results positive or do you need to take an extra step to preserve your brand?

Talk to us through Facebook and Twitter. We want to know what you find out!

4 comments:

  1. Do you think this is ethical for businesses to be doing? Of course there is some responsibility in what you post online. But the personality you see in the business office can be completely different than the one outside of it. Is this fair for employers to take these sort of things into account when hiring?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I add a little story my old soccer coach once told the team.
      When you are off the field and whether you do good or bad, to some extend it all reflects back on the club.
      I think as Colee said, when they ask for log-in information it is too much but employees to also "represent" the company when they are off work and i believe it is far employers want to know who and what they are hiring.

      Delete
  2. There is a lot of debate about this topic. Personally, I think it ok in theory. When candidates come in for an interview they normally don't show their real personality. They are trying to be the person that organization wants instead of themselves. By Googling these candidates the organization is better able to piece together who their candidates really are. With that said, some organizations do take this too far. Especially when they require social media login information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's especially very interesting when your students google you and find surprising links :=)

    ReplyDelete